Monday, August 20, 2012

Small Town, USA

We enjoyed a weekend visit with my mom a couple of weeks ago. She lives outside of Spartanburg in a teeny tiny town. It's where she grew up & where she calls home. I know she's glad to be back there & I'm happy for her. In my youth I took many a trip down the back roads of SC to the red dirt hills of Pacolet, SC. It's a quaint country town where life slows down, my southern accent returns, & I enjoy the comforting cookin' of the South... 

It was great to get away & spend some time with Mom. Kyle only worked a half day on that Friday so we were able to make to Mom's house by dinnertime. After some fried goodness for dinner, Kyle & I headed to the hottest spot in town. The Skate Palace. It's the place to be on a Friday night if you're a tween. (or a couple that needs a few hours of fun sans the kid) We went back to the 70s as we stepped into that place. It had carpet on the walls & a disco ball in the middle of the rink. We were in heaven! The whole time we skated I couldn't help but think back to my youth. I spent more hours than I can recall at my hometown skating rink. It was the place to be & I loved it!

Kyle gettin it like Dale Jr

:)

Showing the yougins how it's done.

Look at that sweet carpet on the wall behind our heads. :)

I'm happy to report that neither one of us fell! We hadn't ROLLER skated since we were 8 & it'd been over 1.5 decades since we'd roller bladed. We had a BLAST & only walked away with a couple of blisters.

Saturday we relaxed, enjoyed Mom's cable TV, checked out a bookstore with old Library books for sale, & ate at the Beacon. Kyle & I were tempted to go skating again but my blisters won & we decided not to go. We also surprised Mom with a little birthday cake. We sang & celebrated just a couple of days late.


Cooper enjoying his bit of choc cake.
 
All hocked up on sugar. (yes he is 'nekked'
that's how we do in the south. ha! he does
have a diaper on.)

Moose checking out her new friend.


Mom enjoying her FRIED GIZZARDS at
the Beacon. That's right, gizzards.
(involuntary shiver occurred as I type)

Happy Birthday Mom!

Early mornings with Coop.

Sunday we went to church. Mom spoke on Charity & did a great job. After church, Mom made us an amazingly delicious meal: brown rice, carrots, potatoes, beef stew, rolls, & more. It took me back to my childhood! We were sad to leave that afternoon but it was time to head back to the Big City.

Cooper at church trying to figure out how a sucker works.

No comments:

Post a Comment